Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The scent of a woman

Out of all my senses, the most highlighted one by far is the olfactory one. While I am sure that anybody would detest having their nose blocked, I am also sure that I take that emotion to another level. I recognize people by their fragrance, I eat food depending on the smell of it. No matter how lovely it looks and might taste, if it does not smell good, smell delicious, Its physically impossible for me to be able to eat it.

So obviously, I love perfumes! And I also love the whole process of shopping for a bottle of one. I love looking at all the fancy beautiful glass bottles clustered together at the showrooms, smelling each one of them, taking in the unique scent of them all, and then finally deciding which one I'll make mine. One of my fondest childhood memory is that of going to Shopper's Stop with a favourite cousin and testing all the perfumes they had in stock. Needless to say, I came back home bathed in extravagant smells of different variety. I smelled of them all, of citrus fruits, of lilies, roses. I am open to almost all types of smells, but opposed to the strong one. A perfume is meant to be an elegant accessory and not to impose its smell within the radius of 235 metres.

Luckily for me, this birthday was a "Perfume Birthday", Everybody I know, decided to take the easy road out and buy me a perfume. What was even more fortunate for me is that I liked all of them! So let me now quickly make a list(!) of my current favourites!



" Fragrance is a silent conversation "


1. Vera Wang's Princess : Oh, my favourite! The bottle is, a heart shaped one with a small golden crown as the cap. It is a very light, very elegant floral smell. What puts it apart is the absence of strong high notes which can usually be detected in floral perfumes. The scent opens with a hint of blossoms to eventually give a under note of Bulgarian roses as well as a hint of musk. It is, what I can best describe it as, a romantic fragrance. Every woman must own one! Delightful for the night, will work just as well in the day!


2. Paul Smith's Floral : Not a significantly floral perfume, as the name suggests. Though there is a wonderfully alluring frangrance of waterlilies, a few fruity notes are also discovered. Orange, I think. And maybe I detect some musk. Lovely bottle, very pretty designs. Essentially a day wear scent.


3. Escada's Moon Sparkle : I mostly do not use Escada as I find it a touch too strong for me, but Moon Sparkle is a brilliant exception. A light fruity perfume with notes of strawberry and maybe currant and raspberry as well. The bottle is a tall, pretty one with colours like purple and a bit of pink. The packaging may hint that the scent is meant for a younger age bracket, but it is misleading. A very elegant fragrance, perfect for summer nights.


4. Gucci's Envy Me : A classic. Not a new fragrant at all, but lovely nonetheless. Very mysterious, Very seductive. Mixture of floral and fruity notes, peonies, lychee's, jasmines and a hint of musk. Tall, signature Gucci pink bottle. Though it is a little bit stronger than what I prefer. But unique, lovely and irresistible as well!


5. Dior's Dolce Vita : A Dior classic. A very sweet smell, hints of cedar wood, cinnamon, roses and vanilla pods are easily detectable. Another version, which bears an emphasis on floral notes is available, but however this remains my preference for its light and elegant scent. Very mysterious. Guaranteed to get compliments. This one, I "borrowed" from my darling mother!


6. Body Shop's Love Etc : Firstly, I have to add, that some low lying scum stole my bottle! The guts!Okay now, I love the whole range, and the perfume is extremely convenient to carry around in your bag, what with its small size! Smells of jasmines, lilly of the valley and creamy musk. Delicious!


7. M.A.C DejaRose : This, again is very convenient to carry around. Small, pretty pink and black bottle. If you do not like floral smells, avoid! Smells entirely of roses, maybe a little under note of patchouli. Not for those who like to drown themselves in perfume, a whiff is enough. Not one of my regulars, but an alluring smell for the occassional use. I hear that M.A.C has come out with a new scent called "Turquatic Heat". Those who prefer a lighter floral scent should opt for this one. Smells of lotus and vanilla.

More reviews later!

4 comments:

thelayeredpancake said...

someone stole your perfume? lol. i wish i could share your love of perfume, but they give me a headache. The only thing i like smelling of is strawberries. which i understand, is not the most advanced taste.
coco chanel would tell me i have no future.

Jenmarie said...

Thanks for visiting my personal blog! :)

You have such a cute blog and I love this post! Sounds like you have very strong senses like myself. I've been wanting Vera Wang's Princess Perfume for a while. It sounds amazing!

Please also visit my fashion blog and let me know what you think: http://www.stylethroughhereyes.com

elizabethbennet said...

@pancakes - YES! can you believe it!!
And, hahaha! I wanted to use that quote by Coco Chanel but thought itwill be a lit too extreme!

@Jen- Thank You :)And you should absolutely get Vera Wang. It is amazing!
I have visited your fashion blog, and loved it, and even left a comment!

clumsylilmissperfect said...

this is so cool .... i feel like grabbing all of these in my arms this minute ... :)))