Sunday, August 1, 2010

"How do I love and loathe thee? Let me count the ways"

The one thing which I really really liked about Clueless (No, not Paul Rudd or Alicia Silverstone, though they are very pretty and lovable people)is how the movie is such an easy adaptation of Emma. Aunt Jane would have been proud. It doesn't make a very obvious and explicit effort and thats why succeeds.
And that is exactly what I didn't find with "Ten things I hate about you". Even someone who has not read The Taming of the Shrew can easily tell that it must be inspired by one of Shakespeare's work, what with the ball, some of the attire and the use of quotations. And also, I found the taming(by Heath Ledger)of the shrew(Julia Stiles)too smoothly done.





“I hate the way you talk to me, and the way you cut your hair.
I hate the way you drive my car, i hate it when you stare.
I hate your big dumb combat boots, and the way you read my mind.
I hate you so much it makes me sick, it even makes me rhyme.
I hate it, I hate the way you’re always right, I hate it when you lie.
I hate it when you make me laugh, even worse when you make me cry.
I hate it when you’re not around, and the fact that you didn’t call.
But mostly I hate the way I don’t hate you, not even close,
not even a little bit, not even at all.”





But having said that I love witty banter, beautiful people prancing aroud, Joseph Gordon-Levitt speaking french, Heath Ledger dancing to Can't take my eyes off you and the chemistry between Julia Stiles and Heath Ledger, So "Ten things..." worked for me, today for the 50th time.

3 comments:

thelayeredpancake said...

I know, but i thought clueless was so annoying. If i knew aunt jane when i was watching the show, i would have avenged her.

elizabethbennet said...

I thought it was cute, but yes Alicia Silverstone was a little annoying!!

elizabethbennet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.