Tuesday, August 3, 2010

" And these are a few of my favourite ....

Words. "
I think I have mentioned in one of my earlier posts, that the reason why I love Valentino (the brand) is because I love the way the name sounds. Its so pleasing to the ear and rolls off the tongue so easily, sounds so grand and so regal. No?
So, I am going to make a list ( I absolutely LOVE making lists. I think its a great way to get your mind at ease, is fun though might be just a little obsessive-compulsive ) in no particular order of my favourite words!
1. Fascinate - intrigue : cause to be interested or curious.
Again, I love the way it sounds. I believe the word carries an almost enigmatic aura around it. Where one is transfixed, unable to pinpoint where the attraction lies while still feeling the gravitational pull.
2. Extravagance - extravagant adj. Given to lavish or imprudent expenditure.
Because I love extravagance. A very true blue regal word. And also doesn't it give you the feeling of something more. Something better, than what you bargained for. Also very aesthetically pleasing.
3. Effervescent - 1. (off a liquid) Giving bubbles; fizzy. 2. (of a person or their behaviour) Vivacious or enthusiastic.
This word immediately makes me think of a woman dressed in a gown of gold. Dull gold. Damask silk, empire waist, I think. With a glass of champagne, bubbles tickling her tongue. Also, it makes me think of Zooey Deschanel. As if the word is made for her. Fits the picture perfectly, doesn't she?
4. Serendipity - Good luck in making unexpected and fortunate discoveries.
It's a fantastic word for a fantastic occurrence. Rolls of the tongue so easily. Can't you just see the luck falling into your lap? And, yes I love the movie and John Cusack.
5. Rhetoric - using language effectively to plead or persuade.
Language is meant to be romanticized, and this word does so. Such a sensual word for such a non sensual meaning.
6. Pride - a feeling of self-respect and personal worth.
A virtue, Most definitely a virtue. Such a smooth sounding, easy word for something which can have so many consequences. Heart-breaker. Heart-broken. Your pride is your heart.
7. Fancy - Illusion, the mental faculty through which whims, visions and fantasies are summoned up.
Because it sound so, I don't know, fancy. As if all the fanciness of the world is trapped within the 5 letters.
8. Renaissance - French for rebirth.
Such a exotic word. It makes me feel so sophisticated. The movement is indeed a favourite time period, makes me think of growth, intellect, art, culture. And a beautiful future.
9. Oblivion - The state of being disregarded or forgotten.
Radiates the aura of a mysterious, trance like state. Makes one think of Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream. No?
10. Epitome - A representative or perfect example of a class or type.
An exaggeration, A vision of perfection - or damn near it. The highest compliment. Such a regular sounding word for something so extraordinary.
11. Gorgeous and Beautiful - Dazzlingly beautiful or magnificent/Having qualities that delight the senses.
I believe, these two words to be the most most sincere compliment there is. I can lie when I say pretty, I can lie when I say awesome, but not these two words. Never these two words. They are a heart- felt sigh. It sounds as if spoken out of something powerful, something moved. Out of conviction. They cannot help but define themselves.
12. Forgiven - To excuse for a fault or offense; pardon.
A heavy burden removed from the shoulders and the heart. A double blessing, for the one who gives it and the one who receives it. A small, simple sounding word for something which a holds a second chance, a chance to succeed, a chance for happiness. A more beautiful word does not exist in the English Language.

I am sure I have not included all the words I was meant to,
but it will only give me an excuse for a second list!

2 comments:

thelayeredpancake said...

I really like renaissance, it sounds so beautiful.

thelayeredpancake said...

and i think you missed supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.