Friday, August 13, 2010

The Great Shakespearean Quest.



I cannot wait to get started on The Great Shakespearean Quest, that I have so bravely undertaken. If any of you, read Julia Quinn, and have read Dancing At Midnight, you know what I am talking about. I just have a few other novels to finish before I start on with this, a few of Aunt Jane's also. I am excited about Mansfield Park, but not so much about Sense and Sensibility, owing to a dear friend. She couldn't stand the novel and has tried her very best to dissuade me, and believe me when I say she can be very persuasive. But I, of strong mettle did not yield.
So, about the Quest, well I've always wanted to read Shakespeare but haven't really gotten around to it. In school we read only two complete and unabridged plays. Julius Caesar and Richard II. Loved the former, of course who doesn't? And about the later well, It was a text forced on us, The class wanted to read Shaw's Pygmalion but the staff did not agree. So we took on the task grudgingly, but although I thought Richard II was a complete boor I enjoyed reading the play.
I remember how well I had grown to know the play JC, I could recite the text as well as I can the lyrics of Strange and Beautiful. I knew exactly how many "But, Brutus is an honourable man" were there in Antony's speech. My favourites were Antony and Cassius. I loved Cassius because no matter how sly, no matter how shallow, no matter how self centered, he never once pretended to be anything but himself. Especially to himself. And, Antony of course because he was the quintessential friend. He loved Caesar for whatever he may be, and took it on himself to revenge the blood of his friend. But Brutus, he simply lived under a misconception. He thought himself to be a good friend, a noble person, a but in truth he failed to be all. I found him to be of weak mettle, easily swayed and dishonest with himself. And that is putting it mildly. I think everybody was a little heart broke when Caesar said "Et tu, Brute then fall Caesar" and gave up trying to fight for life.
Anyway, the point was that I loved reading Shakespeare, and want to resume the habit. So following the path of Arabella Blydon, the protagonist of the JQ novel I spoke about, I decided to undertake the Quest.


Apparently, Caesar was struck 23 bloody times, but it was only when Brutus stuck him that he died. That swine, sorry but I detest Brutus.

The, too famous, balcony scene is Romeo and Juliet. Romeo must be in to gymming and weights and stuff man.

The Mercy Speech in the Merchant of Venice. I love Portia! I think she invented noteworthy arguments!


Anyone who knows me, will easily guess that I chose "Romeo and Juliet" to be the first play to read, but the version I prefer, is currently not available. So I settled for the "Merchant of Venice". I had read the abridged version in school, and loved the famous Mercy speech. But now the compulsive me remains unsatisfied. There are too many plays to be read and I possibly can't chose the order according to my whims and fancies. It's too messy. I need an order, so either I could go alphabetically or chronologically or by genre. Do you have an idea I could use?
Also, I found this. And I shall be, hopefully, studying in London then, so I will not miss it for the world!!
Eloisa James, one of my favourite historical authors is also a Shakespeare Prof. and she adviced me to see as many movies I can see, in her words, "Shakespeare was meant to be seen, not read" True, that.
I have never seen theatre, and so I am pretty excited about the whole thing. Talent behind a camera is one thing, talent without a retake is quite another. I can hardly wait to get started!
And, you have to see this.

Although I have my doubts if pink would be Shakespeare's preferred colour.

No comments: